Now HiringJoin our team of nature nerds!
Position Filled for 2023!
Summer Camp Counselor
If getting kids and adults stoked about nature is your thing and you want to work daily in an idyllic preserve nestled in the mountains of western NC, then we have a job for you.
Balsam Mountain Trust is hiring a Seasonal Full-time Camp Counselor. The ideal candidate will have experience leading nature-based day camps for kids ages 6 to 12. Bonus points if you have experience with adult day camps. High fives if you have experience with animal care.
The Trust is in the heart of Balsam Mountain Preserve, a private preserve with low density housing and over 3,400 acres of permanently conserved land. The Preserve sits on the northern edge of the Great Balsam Mountains. Home to a variety of forest types, sparkling streams, and trails, the Preserve is an ideal place to immerse children and adults in nature.
You’ll be part of a small but mighty staff of people passionate about the plants and critters of our region. We are looking for someone who is eager to help their fellow team members and isn’t scared to ask for help when they need it. We are serious about what we do, but we like to have fun doing it!
- Lead activities for students ages 6-12, using some previous lessons as well as creation of own lessons.
- Create from scratch and lead activities for adult day camps.
- Supervise campers to ensure their physical and emotional well-being, while helping them make friends and explore the wonder of the natural world.
- Communicate with caregivers about camp activities and protocols.
- Administer first aid as needed.
- Communicate with the Executive Director and other staff about all camps and activities.
- Create and implement ad hoc interpretation activities on non-day camp days that may include but are not limited to nature hikes, hands-on biofacts stations, crafts, etc.
- Interact directly with nature center guests on non-day camp days.
- Perform other tasks related to the day-to-day operation of a small nature center, including but not limited to animal care of reptiles, mammals, birds of prey, and invertebrates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent, or higher education in applicable field of study, and are at least 18 years of age.
- One to two years of experience as a camp counselor, teacher, or teaching assistant.
- Current First Aid/CPR Training by date of first camp (paid for by the organization).
- A passion for the outdoors/wildlife and a willingness to work in a variety of weather.
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and in teams.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely.
- Willingness to periodically work on at least one weekend day, and odd hours.
- Current driver’s license.
- Ability to hike 3+ miles on variable terrain, lift 25 lbs with reasonable accommodation.
This is a seasonal 40 hour per week position for at least 12 weeks with the opportunity for recurring seasons, starting no later than the first week of June. We expect to offer compensation of $15 to $17 per hour, depending on experience.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as attachments to Michael Wall (email@example.com). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.